Monday, August 15, 2011

Sketchbook Monsters & Robots

A few recent sketchbook pages for your amusement. I've been playing around with an idea about giant robots fighting enormous H.P. Lovecraft monsters, and after briefly trying to make the monsters weird and non-humanoid, I decided to go to the other extreme and visualize them as stuntmen in rubber suits. As it turned out, I really liked the visual of Cthulhu as a Godzilla extra. Some of these are also touched up with watercolors, which is a nice way to fill time while scanning images or watching Project Runway.




The heroic super robots are supposed to be thousands of years old, and so I played around with some ideas based on ancient cultures. This raises the prospect of a hundred-foot-high monster-smashing Venus of Willendorf, which strikes me as a long-overdue direction for the tokusatsu genre.


1 comment:

Colin Smith said...

"This raises the prospect of a hundred-foot-high monster-smashing Venus of Willendorf, which strikes me as a long-overdue direction for the tokusatsu genre."

Well, I'D buy it! It's the kind of Pop-hybrid I'd always be interested in. Great stuff :)