Friday, August 28, 2015

SF Zoo: August Animals

In addition to the San Francisco Zoo, I just broke down and got a membership to the California Academy of Sciences. So going forward, you can expect lots of aquarium, skeleton, and taxidermy sketching in addition to the usual zoo menagerie! But let's clear out the zoo backlog first.


From the end of July, a close encounter with the ostriches, and a primate update for my lovely wife.


I seem to be on a bit of a reptiles, lizards, and amphibians kick. Here are a few from the new tropical aviary and the summer Nature Trail, plus the zoo's slowly growing Komodo dragon.


A few African critters - the shy kudu, impassive marabou stork, and young Boone the black rhino. I should mention that, if you feel strongly about the threatened status of Africa's elephants and rhinos, you should look into the Global March for Elephants and Rhinos; here's the Facebook page where they're organizing the San Francisco march, which will take place on Saturday, October 3.
  

And back at the zoo, I'm still working my way through the models in the recently installed Sculpture Learning Plaza. I need to go back soon - I hear they just added a coelacanth sculpture!

No comments: