Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Perspective Primer

I'm currently teaching a bunch of introductory comics classes, and I just discovered that I'm pretty bad at explaining perspective in lecture form - and downright terrible at drawing intelligible diagrams on the board while I'm at it. Comics to the rescue! Taking a cue from David Chelsea and Scott McCloud, I've put together this quick and simple Perspective Primer in an attempt to de-confuse my poor students.

Update: Here's a printable Acrobat PDF version.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great, Mark!!

Dan Cooney said...

Great job Mark!

bolognafingers said...

Fantastic work Mark. Very clear explanations of what can be confusing material.

claire b cotts said...

awesome!
this actually clarified some aspects of perspective that I had never quite understood.
Is it alright to use the PDF for teaching purposes?
You should really publish this, it's very helpful - much better than almost anything I've seen!
good job.

Mark Simmons said...

Thanks, all! And yes, Claire, by all means do. That's why I posted a PDF version. :-)

Rob Clay said...

Said it on Twitter too, but I'm with Claire: there are a couple points here that I've been getting wrong for longer than I care to admit. Thanks, Mark!