Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Oakland Zoo: Summer Solstice

After wrapping up my spring teaching duties and finishing up a huge pile of freelance work, I had a little room in my schedule to get over to the Oakland Zoo for the first time in about a year...


My photographer buddy Grace and I were especially keen to see the baby warthogs, and they were everything we could have hoped for!


The baboons were hanging back a ways, so these are really just loose impressions rather than detailed likenesses.


I keep meaning to draw the hyenas, so that's one thing off my bucket list! The camels continue to elude my pen, however.


And of course I had to visit my beloved sun bears.


I went back a couple of days later, and ended up drawing a lot of the same critters I drew last year. I'm so predictable.


 So sue me, I can't get enough of those giant tortoises.


The gibbons are always reliably entertaining. I love the way the male perches in the treetops and regally surveys his domain.


The ever-popular trio of lady elephants. It's fun trying to capture their very distinctive individual likenesses.


Loitering after closing time, I jotted down a very quick scribble of the charismatic male warthog.

No comments: